Instructions for Successful Bar Applicants
Upon notice from the Board of Law Examiners (BLE) that you have passed the Tennessee bar examination, you must complete the following steps in order to practice law:
- Completely read the contents of the packet mailed to you from the BLE.
- Receive an email from the Board of Professional Responsibility (BPR) with your specific User ID and Password to the BPR’s Online Attorney Portal.
- Log on to BPR’s Online Attorney Portal and complete the New Attorney Registration Form and Supreme Court Pre-Registration Form. Use a credit card to pay the $250 fee. A $4 credit card service fee will apply.
Complete the New Attorney Registration Form and Supreme Court Pre-Registration Form. Mail the completed forms and a check made payable to the Board of Professional Responsibility (BPR) for $250 to the BPR.
- Receive a confirmation email from the BPR and log on to the Online Attorney Portal again to see your BPR number.
- Receive your Temporary Certificate of Eligibility to Practice Law from the BLE.
- Attend the swearing-in ceremony or, if you have chosen to enter by affidavit, get sworn in by an individual with authority to perform this duty.
- Return the completed Affidavit, Oath of Admission and Statement of Sponsor to the Supreme Court Clerk at one of the addresses on the form.
- Receive your permanent license and Supreme Court enrollment certificate.