Appointed counsel receiving payment from the Indigent Defense Fund administered by the Administrative Office of the Courts (AOC) are compensated at a rate of:
- $40.00 per hour for time spent in trial preparation; and
- $50.00 dollars per hour for “time reasonably spent in court.” (“time reasonably spent in court" means time spent in courtroom proceedings before a judge.)
It is the responsibility of every appointed attorney seeking compensation from the indigent defense fund to read and adhere to the requirements of Supreme Court Rule 13. Rule 13 governs the appointment and compensation for appointed counsel.
- Section 1 defines the right to counsel and the procedure for appointment of counsel.
- Section 2 defines compensation of counsel in non-capital cases.
- Section 3 defines the minimum qualifications and compensation of counsel in capital cases.
- Section 4 covers the payment of expenses incident to representation.
- Section 5 covers experts, investigators and other support services.
- Section 6 explains the review of claims for compensation and reimbursement of expenses.